Thursday, May 27, 2004

Well-Studied As A Teenager

We had a Bible class at Tom and Masha's home last night, and I was astounded by Tatyana Moskvin's knowledge of the Bible. Jeff directed the class, which was based on a sermon he preached recently at Centreville. The study focused on three statements that demonstrated great character, and after he read each statement, he asked the class to identify the speaker.

No one knew what Jeff was going to talk about in advance, so to answer, they had to know their Bibles. The paraphrased statements were:

1) God gives, and God takes away; blessed be God.
2) Even the dogs get the crumbs that fall from the master's table.
3) If I die, I die.

Tatyana, who is only 17 and has been a Christian since age 12, identified the first two speakers (Job and a Canaanite woman speaking to Jesus) almost immediately and without prompting. And after a hint or two from Jeff, she identified the third speaker as Esther. I supposed I was all the more amazed because I could recall only one of the speakers from memory when Jeff preached the sermon in Centreville, and just weeks later, I had forgotten that Job spoke the words about God giving and taking away.

Tatyana put me to shame and thus earned even more of my admiration.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

Hey Charlei,

Don't know if you'll see this or not because this post is a bit old by now. Tanya doesn't know too much English, but I imagine what she will do is have Masha translate letters for her. She's really excited about hearing from American teens.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home